For the last two weeks I’ve pretty much eaten every meal outside and most dinners have involved our grill. There is nothing like fresh air and fire. The great thing about grilling is that even really simple foods taste great. I wanted to share a few favourites that we’ve kept coming back to this season.
1. Green Onions (aka Scallions, Shallots, Spring Onions) All you need to do with these guys is trim them and pop them on the grill. Put the bulbs near regions of highest heat and let the tender greens dangle on the outside of the grill. Sweet and soft, grilled they are positively delicious.
2. Grilled Peppers We like to put whole peppers on and especially hot peppers like jalapenos and pepperonis. Let the skin char a bit and then it slips off leaving a sweet tender pepper. Be careful of the really hot ones though!
3. Marinated Meat Chop up some garlic and onion and mix in some herbs, lemon or lime juice and some hot sauce and toss it with your steak, chicken or pork. After a few hours you’ll be amazed at the extra flavour.
4. Spice Rub Mix some spices like paprika, cumin, cinnamon, hot peppers, curry, coriander, fennel, clove, etc. and rub the meat with this. Cook it over a low flame and you’ll find an excellent juicy meat with a nice spicy skin. Delicious!
5. Cheese Take a block of feta and drizzle it with honey and sprinkle with herbs. Wrap it in foil and toss it on the grill. It will come out gooey and warm. Have some pita or baguette to serve with it. Another great grilling cheese is Halloumi. This hardy cheese can go right on the grill. Cube it and put it on kebabs or toss the block on right like that.
6. Watermelon Cut some thick wedges of watermelon and brush them with a mixture of lime juice, honey and paprika. Grill them on both sides and enjoy them as a side dish or for dessert. Grilled they become extra sweet.
7. Stone Fruit Halve some nectarines, plums or peaches and brush them with oil and maple syrup. If you want you can sprinkle them with spices like chipotle, cinnamon or paprika. Grill them on both sides and enjoy with ice cream, greek yogourt or creme fraiche.
These are just some of the treats I’ve been enjoying and I hope to try a lot more this summer. What sorts of foods do you like to grill?
Hope you are all enjoying the WM! You know who I am cheering for!