Usually when I eat salad I fish around in the bowl looking for the ‘goodies’. These might be the juicy summer tomatoes hidden behind the lettuce leaves or the creamy bites of feta tucked away behind the boring vegetables. This salad though is so full of goodies you won’t be poking around. Instead you will be gobbling down every bite.
The ingredient list may seem a little long, but I assure you it comes together in a flash and you can easily change things around to suit your mood or what happens to be in your fridge. I had it for dinner, but had leftovers for lunch and I think it was even better the next day.
Every Bite is Delicious Salad (serves 2-4)
- juice of 2 limes or 1 lemon
- two minced shallots
- a few glugs of olive oil
- salt and pepper
- chipotle powder or smoked paprika (adjust to your tastes)
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (could swap with another grain like bulgur)
- 1 cup cubed smoked tofu
- 1 cup chopped mango (1/2 of a large one)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (or cherries or raisins)
- 2 cups chopped mixed vegetables (try: avocado, mixed bell peppers, carrots, cucumber, zucchini)
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley (next time I would use cilantro or thai basil)
Soak your quinoa and rinse well to remove bitterness. Heat with 2 cups of water until the quinoa spirals unravel. Drain and rinse. Add the dried cranberries so they can plump up with the remaining moisture and set aside to cool.
Mix the lime or lemon juice with the shallot, salt and pepper, chipotle and cumin. If you choose to use avocado, add it now and toss it well with the citrus juice, so it won’t turn grey. Add the remaining vegetables and mango and toss well.
Stir in the quinoa and cranberries and mix in the chopped herbs. Serve as is or overtop some mixed greens. Enjoy every colourful bite!